[time-nuts] iPhone app

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 17 14:45:32 UTC 2010

On 2/16/10 10:37 PM, "Thomas A. Frank" <ka2cdk at cox.net> wrote:

> I don't believe that there is a 1pps available to the OS.
>
> The GPS chipset seems to provide a very limited amount of data to the
> phone.  For example, there does not appear to be any way to get
> satellite status info from the GPS chip to the OS.  At least none of
> the apps I've tried thus far (and I've tried a fair number) provide
> anything like that.
>
> Tom Frank

I would guess that the GPS is an "assisted" GPS and a lot of the "smarts" is
in the cellular system (e.g. Satellite almanac, etc.).  All the thing in the
phone does is start with a presupplied estimate of position and get code
phase for some subset of satellites, then do the nav calculation, most
likely with help from the cellsite.