[time-nuts] Advice on 10 MHz isolation/distribution SRS FS700

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Feb 18 19:31:05 UTC 2010

Using an amplifier with AGC like the MC1590 is a sure method of ensuring
high flicker phase noise and a high phase noise floor.
The emitter followers by themselves provide insufficient reverse
isolation for most applications.
Usually one requires 0dB (or perhaps more) gain so that an input preamp
with at least 6dB gain is required.
The widespread use of inductors precludes this circuit from
consideration if one wishes to avoid magnetic components.
Another issue for some applications is the relatively high dc emitter
current required by the emitter followers to produce the desired RF
output level.
For some applications this may be an issue.

Bruce