[time-nuts] Advice on 10 MHz isolation/distribution (Clay)

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Thu Feb 18 22:13:55 UTC 2010

Hi

Have you looked into any actual data on small rf transformers under
vibration at 10 MHz?

A change of a nH isn't the same thing at 10 MHz as at 6.3 GHz. An air core
coil in the signal path at 6G would indeed be an issue. A circulator likely
would not be. An RF transformer at 10 MHz has a lot more in common with the
6GHz circulator than with the 6GHz air core coil.

The phase noise of your reference is going to head up by your +56 db. As
long as the transformer's impact is well below the reference, it will not
show up in the output signal.

I would bet you an order of fries at the local MacDonald's that the single
ended transmission of the signal will pick up far more noise than anything a
properly constructed rf transformer will do at 10 MHz.

Noise at the load is a problem, no matter how it gets there. Transmission
may not be inside your scope -yet. It's still an issue that directly impacts
what you are trying to do.

Bob