[time-nuts] Sound Card Spectrum Analyzer

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Thu Feb 18 23:18:34 UTC 2010

Hi

Assuming I have a decent sound card, and a computer, the next thing I need is software. If I want:

Required:

1) non- commercial
2) 1 Hz normalization
3) good low frequency processing (decimation ahead of the fft)
4) low cost

Much preferred:

5) a non-evil OS
6) Rational performance on a non-quad core system
7) free
8) rational calibration
9) scope view.
10) reasonable graphics
11) active support by the author

The application is measuring phase noise. That what makes 2 & 3 pop up on the list.

I've looked at a lot of programs and they all seem to be pretty slick. The ones I've looked at so far don't quite hit the mark for phase noise. I'm pretty sure that there are others on the list who have dug into this same issue already.

Bob