[time-nuts] Days of buying crystals numbered...??

Michael Baker mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Mon Feb 22 22:09:03 UTC 2010

Hello, Time-Nutters--

I am in need of a 110 MHz VCXO for a mixer input to
provide the needed offset for a tracking generator
I am building for my Tek 494P Spectrum Analyzer.

The 110 MHz VCXO only needs to be pullable/pushable
by +/- 100KHz in order to center the tracking gen
signal in the passband of the spectrum analyzer.

So-- here is the question:  Can programmable oscillators
such as the Silicon Labs Si570/571 be configured to be
pullable/pushable so as to serve as a stand-alone VCXO...?
It would appear that phase noise requirements are very
loose for this particular application.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!!

Mike Baker