[time-nuts] Fw: Rb Oscillator - rather fundamental question

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 23 21:13:17 UTC 2010

I don't think so..

In that event, the unobtainium and Cs sources would both be primary standards (within their random variation).

The Cs+ standard would be less accurate than the Un+ standard, but they're both primary.

The key to a primary standard is that if you build it, it requires no calibration against something else.
It's like the meter, which is defined in terms of the wavelength of a particular spectral line in vacuum. Doesn't matter how you get the spectral line, but count off some number of wavelengths, and that's a meter.

Now, could one argue that a Rb source is also a primary standard, just with low precision?