[time-nuts] Non electrical time-nuttery

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Jan 9 21:03:35 UTC 2010

Like a magnetically coupled escapement
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Camp <lists at cq.nu>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 12:36:11
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement<time-nuts at febo.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Non electrical time-nuttery

Hi

How about a rotary pendulum on a quartz fiber spring with some kind of trick magnets to drive it  / read it out? Put the pendulum and spring inside an evacuated glass envelope to get around the vacuum pump issue. The enclosure could be pretty small.

Drive the magnets with a second external clock, and feedback compensate it. Let the external clock do all the readout via a very normal gear and pointers system. The trick would be getting the feedback loop to work purely mechanically with enough gain to "unload" the master pendulum.

Bob