[time-nuts] HP 5245L Question

David Forbes dforbes at dakotacom.net
Sat Jan 9 23:37:40 UTC 2010

At 9:00 PM +0000 1/9/10, <g4gjl at btopenworld.com> wrote:

>I wondered about replacing nixie tubes and associated drivers with 7
>segment LEDs in one of my (already hacked) units, to make it more
>reliable. I would use the BCD to drive the display, thus requiring a
>new interface board to be designed. I wonder if anyone else has
>considered such a radical remedy to the failing photocell problem?
>
>  In case anyone is wondering 'WHY BOTHER?', my defence is that I too
>have an extensive collection of the plug ins, extending the
>usefulness of the basic instrument way beyond my budget for more
>modern equivalent instruments.
>
>Hope this question is not considered too far off topic for this forum.
>
>Peter Worrall

Peter,

The nixie tube is a wonderful thing. Surely you can't just find a
couple extra counters on ebay and scavenge them for parts? That's
what I did.

If you must redesign it, be aware that HP used 1950s pulsed counter
methods in that counter. It's utterly different from anything you
will find in a part with more than four legs. The circuitry has a lot
more in common with their vacuum tube counters.

The most expedient method to replace the CdS photocell decoder would
be to use a PC board with a bunch of diodes as a logic decoder. Just
make the sense of the diode gates match that of the photocells, and
copy the original 'AND gate' logic of the hybrid.

The storage method is non-obvious. It might require some extra chips
if you do it the new-fangled way.

Nixies are still viable display elements, and they can be driven
nicely with the TD62084 or the similar TI SN75468.
--

--David Forbes, Tucson, AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/