[time-nuts] Frequency reference over WiFi?

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Jan 10 02:12:38 UTC 2010

Not with an unmodified interface, however there are several ways to do it..

Lock the access point's local oscillator to your external reference.
When the receiver gets carrier lock and sync, its local oscillator is locked
to the AP's local osc which is locked to your ref. Use that to discipline
your local reference.

Mind you the "receiver's local oscillator" is probably partly analog (an XO
driving a PLL for the RF front end) and partly digital (in the demodulator).

If you're ambitious, I believe that someone has implemented
802.11(something) for the Ettus USRP.

You might start by just seeing how many oscillators there are in the access
point, and whether you can generate those from your external reference. If
you run ALL the clocks in the thing off the reference, you've got a fair
chance that any signal emitted will also be locked.