[time-nuts] I think I've become a Volt nut too.

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jan 12 21:01:02 UTC 2010

bill at iaxs.net said:
> I'm picturing 100,000 pendula in a cave, all gravity locked to their
> neighbors. (How small would they have to be to fit into the main cave
> at Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico?)

Wikipedia says:
  Big Room or The Hall of the Giants
  The largest chamber in Carlsbad Caverns, with a floor space of 33,210 m2
(357,469 sq ft).

So that's 3 sq ft per clock.  Round up for all the other parts of the cave.
Round down for the edges that aren't tall enough.

That's ignoring height.  You could also stack them on top of each other, at
least in some places.

Tuxedo Park has a good story.

Loomis had 3 of the Shortt clocks.  They were down in a basement room dug out
of bedrock.

He had to work hard to get them not to lock up.
  "He found that when he placed the clocks in the
  corners of an equilateral triangle, facing inward,
  the coupling was broken."