[time-nuts] GPSDO Design

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jan 15 03:18:37 UTC 2010

oops I omitted an important phrase.

Bruce

Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> There are 4 principal sources of noise
>
> 1) The GPS receiver
>
> 2) The 4046 Phase detector
>
> 3) The opamp
>
> 4) The OCXO
>
> In the short term the GPS receiver noise will dominate.
The GPS receiver noise will dominate the sort term phase detector output
noise

> In the long term the 4046 phase detector noise and drift together with
> the OCXO noise and drift will dominate.

Again add the phase "the phase detector output noise" to the end of the
sentence.
> Unless you make an extremely poor choice of opamp the 4046 phase
> detector noise and drift will be much larger than that of the opamp.

This actually depends on the phase detector comparison frequency at 1PPS
phase detector (plus divider drift) of 1ns/C is equivalent to 5nV/C
input offset drift at the opamp (about 1/10 that of a chopper stabilised
amplifier). At 100Hz 1ns/C is equivalent to about 500nV/C at the opamp
input or about 10x that of a good chopper stabilised (or "zero drift")
amplifier.