[time-nuts] Sidereal time

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 10:07:17 UTC 2010

Hi Brian,

I really love this group, it appeals to the technophile inside me and
it's interesting to see the answers that are given.

You should have know that posting to a nuts group would mean you would
get lots of highly technical responses but frequently the questions
posed are not answered as things go off in a tangent. Perhaps we
should have asked you how accurately bang on the "sidereal second??"
you wish this clock to be or perhaps you just wish it to tick over the
sidereal time without some frame of reference?

Sounds like an interesting idea, sorry but I cannot answer your
questions conclusively but it looks sound to me. What you are doing is
fitting a sidereal day into a wall clock day display by driving the
clock with fast seconds so it's 24 hours is over in 23 hours 56
minutes and 4.091 seconds. If that's what you want to do, it sounds
great even though I'm not sure that a sidereal day is normally
presented that way.

73,
Steve

2010/1/15 Brian Kirby <kilodelta4foxmike at gmail.com>:
> I would like to have an electronic clock to keep sidereal time.  I am
> planning on using a HP 59309A, which can except an external clock of 1/5/10
> Mhz.
>
> According to Wikipedia sidereal time is 23 hours 56 minutes and 4.091
> seconds - a total of 86,164.091 seconds
>
> So 86,400 seconds for a normal "atomic defined" day divided by 86,164.091 =
> 1.002,737,903,89
>
> If I set the 59309A to 10 Mhz external clock and dial a synthesizer up to
> 10.0273790, the unit should be able to keep sidereal time.
>
> Is my math and theory correct ?
>
> Brian - KD4FM

Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
A man with one clock knows what time it is;
A man with two clocks is never quite sure.