[time-nuts] Test equipment / work benches...

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Jan 24 18:19:22 UTC 2010

An idea I really like, but haven't had room to implement at my current
house, is one that a friend used.  Rather than standard 19 inch racks,
he used the heavy duty 24 inch deep, 48 inch wide, 60 inch tall shelf
units available at home improvement stores -- the ones with the heavy
metal frame and particle board shelves that are well supported around
all four sides.

He had three of these units holding his test gear, with a workbench in
front.  The shelves were arranged so that the one lined up directly with
the workbench with the higher shelves spaced for either a single heavy
piece or a stack of lighter stuff.  The beauty part is that he had
enough room to get around and behind the shelves to work on the rear
cabling.  Using shelves rather than bolting the gear into racks makes it
much easier to rearrange the pieces when the mood strikes.

As for myself, I have a couple of racks, a 30x60 metal office table as a
workbench, and several wooden equipment carts with casters that a
woodworker friend built for me.  A picture of one of the carts (with a
second partially visible behind) is attached.  They are made of
heavy-duty plywood with metal frames for the shelves and metal cross
braces for stabilization.  The top shelf is tilted to allow a better
viewing angle.  These have worked really well in my fairly small space.

John