[time-nuts] Test equipment / work benches...

Mike Naruta AA8K aa8k at comcast.net
Mon Jan 25 15:46:32 UTC 2010

If the top is a two-person lift, and you are
putting all your heavy equipment on it, and
you are not on a concrete floor, you may want
to align the bench legs with the floor joists
or use plates to distribute the weight.  :)

My shop bench is made from wood from our family's
barn.  The legs are 6 by 6 inch (15 cm) and
the long dimension framing is 2 by 12 inch
(5 by 30 cm) and leg brace/foot rests are 2 by 2
inch (5 cm).  I had to use threaded rod because
the local hardware stores did not have bolts long
enough.  This wood was old when we purchased
the farm in 1953.  I built it as a tribute to
our old barn.  I mounted my father-in-law's big
metal vise/vice on it.  It is 11.5 inches (30 cm)
high and 29 inches (74 cm) from front to back
when closed.  The screw handle is 7/8 inch (2 cm)
in diameter and 16.75 inches (43 cm) long.  I
was barely able to lift the vise to the bench
top to mount it.

I also have my father's half-century old Sears
vise mounted on the bench.  It is 17 inches (43 cm)
long (closed) and 11.5 inches (29 cm) high.  The
vise is in remarkably good condition, especially
considering all the projects we used it for.

The attached photo shows the bench with the
appropriate number of projects on it.

Mike - AA8K