[time-nuts] White LED's

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sat Jan 30 17:46:39 UTC 2010

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> Chuck Harris wrote:
>> I bought some of the LED replacements for Edison bulb incandescents, and
>> they have an afterglow that lasts for several minutes.  It is very much
>> dimmer than when they are turned on, but is there none the less.
>>
>> -Chuck
>
> I got one of these so called 2D fluorescent tubes in a packet and bought
> it home on the train late in the evening. The trains are electric with
> cables overhead. What was strange was that the lamp was glowing dimly in
> the packet - I can only assume the E field from the overhead cables for
> the train was the source of power.
>
> Dave

I should have added, it carried on glowing for some time after I got home too.
At that point, I was well away from the train lines, though we do have 11 kV
overhead cables around 30m from the house. It eventually stopped glowing so I
assume it was the presence of the overhead train lines which caused this.