[time-nuts] White LED's

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sat Jan 30 18:21:35 UTC 2010

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> I should have added, it carried on glowing for some time after I got
> home too. At that point, I was well away from the train lines, though we
> do have 11 kV overhead cables around 30m from the house. It eventually
> stopped glowing so I assume it was the presence of the overhead train
> lines which caused this.

When I was a kid, there was a main set of high tension power lines several
hundred yards from my house.  I had friends that had garden sheds under the
towers that were lit by fluorescent lamps collecting the stray fields.  A
piece of wire on each end of the bulb enhanced the effect.

I knew of one guy that had a big coil of wire in the roof of his shed
and he could light a 100W incandescent bulb from the stray fields.

-Chuck Harris