[time-nuts] Motion effects on accuracy of GPS pps

Daniel Davson ddavson at peralex.com
Fri Jul 2 09:13:22 UTC 2010

Thanks for all the responses.

I've also had a response from uBlox support informing me that the
TimePulse accuracy will degrade (both due to motion and of course due to
multipath, weak signals etc. - datasheet accuracy figures are for
reasonable/optimal conditions). The uBlox module has a T Accuracy filter
which can impose a limit on the estimated accuracy of the PPS. When the
limit is exceeded it will stop the PPS. The T accuracy estimate is also
accessible in navigation strings, which is what I'm now going to
monitor. The T Accuracy filter takes more into consideration than does
TDOP - the accuracy estimate includes detected multi-path, weak signals
as well as the standard factors that TDOP is based on.

The one question I've yet to resolve is whether or not motion can cause
sustained increase or decrease in the period of the pulses and not just
increased jitter.

Daniel

--
Daniel Davson