[time-nuts] GPS Timing Source -- looking at buying

Peter Vince pvince at theiet.org
Fri Jul 9 17:37:53 UTC 2010

Hal (and everyone)

     In television and radio broadcasting we use a time code that is a
Manchester-encoded 2000 bps (50 Hz countries) or 2400 bps (60 Hz
countries) signal which has been low-pass filtered (~7.5 KHz) so that
it can be directly recorded on an analogue audio track.  "EBU" is the
"European Broadcasting Union", who collaborated with the US "SMPTE"
("Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers") to come up with
a common standard.  The subtle difference between EBU and SMPTE
variants is that the latter is usually "drop-frame" so that a count of
29.97 Hz NTSC frames better keeps track of real time.  Google "SMPTE
time code" for thousands of pages that will tell you more than you
ever wanted to know :-)

     TTFN,

           Peter (London, England)