[time-nuts] Loran-C POSAID2 Software

Stanley Reynolds stanley_reynolds at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 9 22:54:21 UTC 2010

dos program here :

http://www.loran.org/gptotd.zip

info here :
http://www.loran.org/Coordinates.htm

Stanley

----- Original Message ----
From: J. Forster <jfor at quik.com>
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement <time-nuts at febo.com>
Sent: Fri, July 9, 2010 5:14:59 PM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Loran-C POSAID2 Software

A definite maybe.

In the late 1970s, Raytheon farmed out their small boat LORAN receivers to
a New Hampshire company, Appelco. They made 8085 based LORAN receivers w/
LED readout of time differences.

Later, Appelco produced an upgraded version with a daughter board, also
with an 8085, that took the data from the mother board and converted it to
Lat/Long readout.  Obviously, that daughter board had the needed SW in its
ROM. Mine certainly worked on the bench and gave consistent positions to
within about 100 feet. The model number was LC....? I'm not certain there
were many produced, but it might be worth a look.

BTW, Raytheon places a muli-million dollar order w/ Appelco, then pulled
the plug on a technicality. Appelco went bust. I got the stuff at their
bankrupcy auction.

The down side is I cannot put my hands on it any time soon.

FWIW,

-John