[time-nuts] surface mount (was PICTIC II Parts from Mouser)

Robert J Marinelli bobm at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 20 01:22:09 UTC 2010

Hi Richard,

Yes, used to feel that way - until acquiring a surplus dissecting
(stereo) microscope, now I actually *prefer* surface mount.  Much
easier to move parts around, it's easy to apply paste & solder entire
boards in a $50 toaster oven, and access to all the latest parts.
Hard to believe, but really is easier once you can clearly see.  For
some nice tuturials, see the sparkfun website, also the schmartboard
website.  Also, when I lay out surface mount boards, they tend to be
smaller overall, and so a bit lower cost.

Please do try with a low cost stereo microscope - it changes
everything :)

-Bob

p.s. Finger size is no issue - tweezers work nicely.  Oh and surface
mount resistors & caps are unbelievably low cost in cut tape, and
super easy to handle that way.  Much better than loose parts IMO.