[time-nuts] A different timenuts interest

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Thu Jul 22 03:05:06 UTC 2010

[snip]
> The bob on a Foucault pendulum is usually quite massive, so there's no
> reason
> why it can't be inexpensive lead-acid batteries that are recharged by
> solar cells.

IMO, there is no reason to put anything active on the bob.

> I'm sure you'd save money over mechanisms to move the pivot or huge
> magnets buried in the floor.

The pendulum is very high "Q". You don't want or need a lot of force. I'd
guess a coil smaller than a coffee cup would be more than enough.

> Given present unemployment levels, you may be able to hire a person to
> deliver
> impulses to the bob as required. But most of the world has automated such
> systems because people are not reliable.

True. When in China in about 1979, I was astounded they had Elevator
Operators. Many of them, but they had more people than jobs.

> Heck, you could build a pendulum and a metaphor for our times.
>
> Best regards,
> Bill Hawkins (also on Jack's BA list)

Best,

-John