[time-nuts] Reference source 1E10^8 only ...Ideas

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Jul 24 13:55:42 UTC 2010

Hi

A lot depends on just how much trouble you want to go to. The TBolt is indeed a reasonable solution, it's overkill, but it will do everything you want to do. A free running Efratom LPRO 10 MHz rubidium also would do everything you need to do for a bit less money and a bit less hassle.

A third alternative would be to simply use a decent modern 10 MHz OCXO. There are a number of double oven 10 MHz units that show up on the e-place regularly for a bit less money than either the LPRO or the TBolt. The OCXO should hold the level of accuracy you need for several years between calibrations. The disadvantage compared to the TBolt is that you would need to set up a calibration system.

The TBolt with power (+/-12 and +5), antenna, shipping, and the various cables should come in for $150 to $250 (US).
The LPro with power (+20) and shipping should be under $100
The OCXO with bench power (I assume +12 is there already) should be under $50. Possibly less if you go dumpster diving at Rakon...

Lots of choices.

Bob