[time-nuts] HP-3586B receiver...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Sat Jul 24 20:05:22 UTC 2010

I prefer the 3586-B version.  I think it's more user friendly - once
you get the hang of it, it does more.

You can get off-the -shelf adaptors for the weird telco connectors to
BNC for about $20, but it's simpler to just change out the connectors
to BNC.  The input module is a plug-in box.  Remove six front panel
screws, swing front panel out of the way, unplug the input module,
replace connector, plug in the input module, look for screws you just
had, replace just-lost screws, try again, and Voilla, normal connectors.

The detection is only upper or lower sideband.  Mine is GPS
referenced and I use it for AM, PSK-31, RTTY, as well for FMT's.  I
live within 4 miles to two 50 KW AM stations and Have never had a
problem when using my 210' Inverted-V.  The selectable bandwidths
with common options are: 3.1 kHz, 400 Hz, and 20 Hz.

Marv Collins, W6OQI came over to our home about 3 years ago to look
at the one I had at the time (I now have two of the B's).  He said he
doesn't know how he'd ever use one.  Marv now has two of the B's.

Burt, K6OQK

At 12:32 PM 7/24/2010, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote
>Subject: Re: [time-nuts] A Highly-Accurate and Stable SDR-IQ Using
>         GPS-DO and DFS
>To: "paul swed" <paulswedb at gmail.com>
>Cc: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
>         <time-nuts at febo.com>
>
>Oops. Yes, typo. Sorry.
>
>I don't know about the A version but the  and C are essentially identical
>except the B used wierd Telco connectors. An new adapter might cost as
>much as you'd pay for the receiver.
>
>Their shortfall is the demodulation options are limited, but they do a
>wonderful job of measuring carrier frequency.
>
>Best,
>
>-John

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services