[time-nuts] Basic question regarding comparing two frequencies

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Sun Jul 25 15:29:23 UTC 2010

There is a cute way to use a scope.

It requires a power splittere, a quadrature hybrid, and two mixers (all
appropriate for the frequencies you are comparing), and an X-Y scope.
Mini-Circuits sells appropriate parts. The stuff is hooked up like this:

              X Axis
       S       |       H
       P ---- MIX ---- Y
REF 1--L               B -- REF2
       I ---- MIX ---- R
       T       |       I
              Y Axis   D

The 'scope display will be roughly a circle if the frequencies are a bit
different and the spot will go around CW or CCW depending on which Ref is
higher.

-John