[time-nuts] Symmetricom X72

Stan, W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Sun Jul 25 16:56:17 UTC 2010

Hello Brice,

I like my HP-5384A freq counter, spec'd to 225 MHz, LCD display and
enough digits for my ham radio work.
This counter has a small foot print on the bench at ~8.5" wide, 3.5"
high and 12" deep. low Ac power consumption.
Other older counters have taken up a lot more bench space and electrical
power.

I use the Trimble T'Bolt as an external 10 MHz reference.

This counter was an upgrade from a HP-5245L/M nixie display counter.
I continue to use a HP-5340A microwave counter, good to 26.5 GHz, LED
display.

Ebay can be your friend, but the rule of Caveat Emptor still applies,
either pay the bigger bucks for a vendor's guarantee
or treat it like a flea market item, you will not how it works until you
get it on your test bench. Bid accordingly.
A permanent search on Ebay can be helpful for specific models you are
considering.

I have made some scores on Ebay, especially used HP test equipment, but
I have extraordinary patience.
I have horror stories too.....

Other counters I have considered:
HP-5345
HP/Agilent 53132
Stanford Research Systems model 620

Others will also have some great counter experiences and why a specific
model satisfied their needs.

Be cautious on the A/B/C models as well as the vendor options.
Most vendors I deal with are simply junque dealers and have no clue as
to the options and their function.

Stan, W1LE      Cape Cod     FN41sr