[time-nuts] Fury - Rubidium - PIS

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Wed Jul 28 02:02:56 UTC 2010

> That part I understand (your drawing), its a basic phase lock loop.
> What I am having trouble with is the Fury's commands relationship.

OK. Sorry for the BW.

Basically you tune a loop by starting with the P, I, and D set to zero.
You slowly crank up the P until it starts to become unstable. (Put in a
small step perturbation and look at the response for ringing) Then crank
up the D until it stabilizes, then crank up the P again. When you have got
a stable fairly well performing loop, you introduce some I. You may have
to tweek P and D to keep stability.

It looks like your system has an overall gain (DACG) and a P and D
controller gain. This is not uncommon to avoid switching a bunch of caps.

FWIW,

-John