[time-nuts] Updated Shera controller

Stanley Reynolds stanley_reynolds at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 13:42:35 UTC 2010

----- Original Message ----
From: Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement <time-nuts at febo.com>
Sent: Thu, July 29, 2010 12:48:55 AM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Updated Shera controller

stanley_reynolds at yahoo.com said:
> Full circle back to the software, the number of units sold, the cost per
> hour and time to complete project would determine the software cost. Would
> not  surprise me if the software would be the biggest expense till you break
> the 1000  unit mark unless the cost per hour was very low. As a hardware guy
> at heart it  is hard for me to assign a cost/value to software ;-)

That line of thinking is probably appropriate for a commercial project.

For a hobby/volunteer project, software can be free.  Consider Lady Heather
as an example.

In this context, there are two types of software.  There is the software you
run on the board you build.  There is also the software you use to develop
the software you run.

I'm assuming a volunteer would write the software just like volunteers have
designed boards.

<snip>

Some with well stocked junk boxes could argue the hardware was below market cost
as well. But my point was the software was much more of a factor than the
hardware if we assign value to each part. Yes Lady Heather is free to many but
not all, the author and others would be rich if paid a fair price for their
work. Thank you time-nuts for your time.

Stanley