[time-nuts] Tight PLL method. Is it good enough?

John Green wpxs472 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 21:48:55 UTC 2010

I am a relative outsider to this fine group. I mostly just read the posts. I
have learned a lot since I have subscribed.
So, I don't have a dog in the fight over whether the tight PLL method is all
Warren says it is. I can understand that Warren
has researched this method, discovered its weakness and made advancements to
compensate. He has tested it against
a well known and respected piece of commercial gear and found good, though
not perfect agreement. An achievement to be
proud of. Bruce has also researched this method and sees that it has
weaknesses. Some of which he feels Warren has not
addressed. He is frustrated because Warren won't agree that there are
problems with this method.
As someone who merely wants to test some oscillators, I am mainly interested
in finding components I can buy and assemble
into something I can have a modicum of confidence in. I was looking at doing
a DMTD setup because I have most of the
necessary components. But Warren has gotten my attention. By testing it
against a piece of commercial equipment, he has
gotten me to believe that if I build a similar setup, I can achieve similar
results. The interesting thing is that his setup is relatively
simple. I could probably duplicate it pretty closely. Is it perfect?
Probably not. Would it do what I need done? Probably so.