[time-nuts] Advantages & Disadvantages of the TPLL Method

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jun 13 01:25:13 UTC 2010

Another disadvantage of the Tight PLL system that only applies to
multichannel systems is that a dedicated reference oscillator is
required for each channel.
i.e. for an N channel system N reference oscillators are required.
If correlation techniques were to be employed then an N channel system
requires 2N reference oscillators.

N channel versions of Dual Mixer systems by contrast only need a single
offset oscillator and a single reference oscillator.
Similarly an N channel heterodyne system only requires a single offset
oscillator.

An N channel direct RF phase sampling system (like that employed by the
2 channel TSC5120A) only requires a single samplign clock source.

An N channel time interval counter that periodically (eg at a 1Hz rate)
measures phase differences between 2 RF signals only requires a single
reference source.
The above system can be regarded as an undersampled version of the
direct RF phase sampling system.

The poor cost scaling of the tight PLL system is another reason why it
has fallen out of favour for those who have more than 2 frequency
standards to compare simultaneously.

Bruce