[time-nuts] Advantages & Disadvantages of the TPLL Method

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jun 13 11:17:38 UTC 2010

>> Just to let you know that your link got busted by a line-wrap
>> somewhere so it is not clickable and has to be cut and pasted
>> into place.

> I saw that. There is nothing I can do about it other than by using a url
> shortener which I am reluctant to do because of the obfuscation and
> potential for abuse.

One approach is to use a URL shortener but also include the long URL even
though it will get chopped up and such.  The key idea is that at least some
of the target audience will be able to decrypt the line wrapping and/or other
mangling and reconstruct the target URL if the url shortening service goes
tits-up.

Both bit.ly and tinyurl.com are reasonably on the ball about blocking
spammers from using their services.  There may be (many?) other anti-spam URL
shorteners that I don't know about.  (Some of of the shorteners seem to be
run by spammers.)