[time-nuts] Odd FTS 4060 Behavior

Adrian rfnuts at arcor.de
Sun Jun 13 22:08:14 UTC 2010

John,

yep!

The OCXO out of the 4060 and connected to a bench power supply with no
tuning voltages applied had to be trimmed to get on 10 MHz.
After a while it started temporarily jumping to -1.4E-07, which could be
reversed or provoked by knocking it on the head.

I decided to disassemble it and found a neatly built dewar insulated
oven inside. I just didn't like the solder joints of the gold plated
edge connector pins on the two PCB's inside the oven that had separated
on the component side from some of the pins. So, I resoldered them and
stuffed everything back in the jar. After powering it up, I had to trim
it back by about the same amount it needed in the beginning when it
appeared to be in 'failure mode'. At the moment it appears to be no more
vibration sensitive, but that doesn't necessarily mean I got it fixed.

Now it's back in the 4060 (without readjusting it, the tuning voltage is
almost exactly at center scale!), and we shall see if it behaves or not.

Adrian