[time-nuts] My stubborn Z3801A

Robert Benward rbenward at verizon.net
Mon Jun 14 00:01:07 UTC 2010

To All,

An update to my Z3801A saga.

person who sold it to me said it was modified for RS-232.  I powered the
unit up and the only thing it ever did was go into the holdover mode.  Tried
hooking RS-232, but got no response.  Did some reading and found the little
green blinking light was a good thing, all the others indicated a failure in
ram, rom, etc.  Boot was good if all the front panel lights went on in
sequence.

Update: Took the unit apart to do some serious trouble shooting.  Found the
signals (logic side) on the RS-232 did not go all the way to ground.  Subbed
in another RS-232 transceiver, still no luck.  Found another note on the
internet about removing the 5 little zero ohm resistors on the bottom to do
the RS-232 conversion.  Looked on the bottom and they were still there!!!  I
removed them and the signals now went all the way to ground and appeared to
be normal.  Tried various programs to link up (GPS.EXE, SatStat, RS-232
comm).  Saw the commands going in, and I did see a response from the Z3801A,
but the computer could not read the response.   Since I did see a response
from the Z3801A on the scope, I figured it was receiving commands.  I hooked
up an antenna and sent a survey command.  Apparently if the GPS is moved (I
don't know how much)  the Z3801A needs to do a survey otherwise it won't
lock.  I went shopping, and came back about 2 hours later, and low and
behold, a GPS LOCK!!!

Still to go:  The RS-232 signals look fine going into the cable, +/-5V, any
ideas why the computer won't read it?  Am I missing something?  I tried two
different ports in case I screwed one up one of the ports, but no luck.

Bob
AC2AZ