[time-nuts] Allan Deviation

Brian Kirby kilodelta4foxmike at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 02:56:00 UTC 2010

Robert Benward wrote:
> Hi All,
> How does one measure allan deviation?  How does my computer measure the
> stability of an oscillator?  Is this coming from the Z3801A?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Several methods can be used.  Basic is time interval between a frequency
source and a oscillator/device under test.  Usually a computer is used
to record the data from the time interval counter and to then to post
process the data.  Three programs come to mind that can process the
variances - Alavar, Plotter and Stable32.

You can measure the Allan deviation of the Z3801A, but you have to
compare it to another frequency source better than it.

As an example, you can use a divider to make a 1 pulse per second
signal  from the Z3801A  (actually it has a divider built in, it is
available on the DB25 connector).  Then use say compare it to the 1 PPS
of a cesium beam standard.  One PPS signal is feed to the start input of
the time interval counter and the other PPS signal is feed to the stop
channel.

Since the data is coming in at 1 second periods, the program that
process the variances will calculate the deviation at 1 second, then say
10 seconds, then 100 seconds, etc. and then generate a plot.

This is a very basic explanation, start some research and you'll end up
crazy like the rest of us.....!.

Brian