[time-nuts] Advantages & Disadvantages of the TPLL Method

Robert Benward rbenward at verizon.net
Sat Jun 19 03:18:05 UTC 2010

Warren,
Is there not a lower limit to how much you can average?  Yes, it's the sqrt of the number of samples, but doesn't noise,
hardware, and other perturbations limit the usefulness of this method?

> Then one can get repeatable results say 100 times better from cycle to cycle in the short term.
> so down to 10ps repeatable.

Why do you say the results are repeatable in the short term vs the long term?  Isn't what you defined above
(repeatability) the opposite of jitter?  Jitter I thought was cycle to cycle variation in prop delay.  On 1ns prop
devices, I don't think 50-100ps jitter is unreasonable under the most optimum conditions, the most careful circuit
layout, and constant repeatable inputs.  I don't think 10ps is achievable under any dynamic conditions IMHO.

> One can average 1,000,000 readings of the 10 ps jitter
> If they are truly random, that can give you a 1e-3 improvement (square root of number of samples averaged)

You are now averaging the "repeatable"  jitter.

KE5FX's website shows a diagram and a link to your diagram as well.  Are you using a digital phase detector or a mixer
as shown?  BTW, KE5FX refers to DAQ as your update to the design, where I believe he meant an ADC.

You have my curiosity peaked.  Do you have an analysis of the loop sensitivity/resolution?

Bob