[time-nuts] FRS-C TTL / sine outboard filter question

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Wed Jun 23 21:22:54 UTC 2010

Leigh,

A narrow filter around 10MHz is likely to show phase ripple in its passband, and that will most certainly vary over temperature, not a good thing for ADEV, that's why a LPF is preferred.

Also, most crystal filters may not be happy with the output level of a typical OCXO, so you would have to attenuate the signal before the filter and amplify it after, an unnecessary complexity that will not help ADEV.

Crystal filters are not usually used for harmonic suppression because away from the resonance, crystals are good capacitors, so you will probably not find much data, and if you find data, it will probably suck :) In most applications, they are preceded and followed by L-C filters to normalize the out-of-band response.

Didier

------------------------ Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless thingy while I do other things...