[time-nuts] nubie querie

Stan, W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Fri Mar 5 15:33:40 UTC 2010

If the time duration of the sand timer is defined as when the first
grain of sand lands
on the bottom, until the last grain of sand lands on the pile of sand on
the bottom,
maybe an optical circuit may sense the passing and interruption with a
light beam.

Possibly the optical sensor mounted in the restricted center could sense
the
first grain starting to pass and when the last grain has passed.

That my change the definition, but it should be repeatable.

The acoustic approach has merit. I could then apply some DSP and more
test equipment.
Much easier than listening to the grass grow.
I personally like definitive starts and stops, to stay within my
attention span.

Stan, W1LE