[time-nuts] 10 MHz reference switching (Clay)

life speed life_speed at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 17:22:13 UTC 2010

> Why would flicker noise be a concern if there is no dc current flowing
> in the switches?
> Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Does it matter if the current is DC or AC?  I expect to see +/-20 mA current due to the signal level.

Clay

From: Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] 10 MHz reference switching

> Hi
> Or put another way:
> If you have a structure that uses series resistors and shunt diodes:
> The diodes are reverse biased when the switch is "on".
> The diodes are forward biassed when the switch is "off".
> No current when on = no noise.
> Bob

Hi Bob,

I had not considered pin diode switches.  I guess in my mind they are "RF", and 10 MHz is not.  No reason not to think about them.  However, I think to get any sort of useable isolation at 10 MHz series-shunt or pi configuration is required, which will have current flowing in one of the paths at all times.

Clay

From: paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com>

> rf relay would work

Hi Paul,

Sorry, no relays for a high-reliability application.  Not enough room or current either.

Clay

From: Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us>
> Hi
> Assuming you are switching between an external reference and the internal OCXO:
> The "bleed through" of the OCXO is going to show up as a discrete spur close to the external reference carrier. Unless you have a very > unusual architecture, it will be inside the loop for everything you are doing. Attenuating it to a "suitable" level may be quite difficult.
> Bob

Good point.  I could power down the internal oscillator based on a detected external reference.  Just more circuits to add . . .

Thanks to all who replied, you raised some good points.  Locking the internal to external sounds better all the time, it's just kind of expensive.

Clay