[time-nuts] 5370A vs 5370B

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Wed Mar 10 01:20:19 UTC 2010

> The display rate pots is particularly useless.  You can just
> hardwire it to max.

The only case I've seen where that's an issue is when using the counter over
GPIB, free running in talk-only mode.  If I run it with the Prologix
Ethernet adapter, which turns each reading into its own TCP/IP packet, I
have to back the display rate down to about 1/2 maximum to let the adapter
keep up.  Not a huge deal, and it probably wouldn't be a problem with
non-Ethernet adapters at all.

> The biggest bugaboo in buying a 5370 is the state of the HP
> custom input amplifier chips.  They can be damaged by overloading
> the input.   Blow one and you are screwed.  Buy a 5370 with a
> blown input amp and you are screwed.   The 5370A and 5370B used
> different chips.  The 5345A counter is a source of input amp chips.

Hopefully Demian won't keep us in suspense re: that Maxim part...?

> It would be VERY nice if some clever person built  drop in
> replacement "chips" built of modern SMD parts on a DIP header.
> Those input amp chips are socketed.  They are little more than a
> comparator.
>
> Quick check of the 5370A inputs is to set the unit to "SEParate"
> inputs and connect the back panel 10 MHz ref signal to each of
> the inputs.  The signal level LED should flash.  A steady LED
> means that input is toast (or the input PCB slide switches are
> full of navel lint and need cleaning).

The switches are indeed a reliability problem.  They're about as well
thought-out as the pots you mentioned.

-- john, KE5FX