[time-nuts] ADF4002 phase noise - in FireFly-IIA-100MHz

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Wed Mar 10 15:18:39 UTC 2010

John and Said,

from my limited understanding of things I would have guessed that the
ADF4001/2 PFD's ability to produce very short pulses in the locked condition
puts a lot of energy into higher harmonics of the PFD's output, making it
more easy for the loop filter to remove them. In contrast to that the simple
rectangle from an XOR has most of its energy in the lower harmonics. That is
why I have believed AD's claims to have a real low noise PFD in these
devices.

Is the theory all that wrong or do you expect other factors to be
responsible for the not superiour performance?

Let me put forward the question in another way: Had you to lock a 100 MHz
VCXO to a 10 MHz reference, what other chip had you used that you believe is
the better performer? Please no injection locking or even stranger, just
plain PLL.

I am in the state of constructiong a 10 to 100 MHz multiplier and your
advice is highly appreciated, until now I have been thinking the ADF4002
could be an improvement against my usual AD9901 cover design in an FPGA or
CPLD.

Best regards
Ulrich