[time-nuts] HP 5372A Fan

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 10 17:04:25 UTC 2010

Are you sure that it has a variable speed fan?   My 5372A has a pretty quiet fan and I have never tried to change it.  I am assuming that it uses the same 117V fan as the 5371A.  That thermal switch may be a power supply shutdown.

I have a couple of 5371A's that are a different matter.   Utterly obnoxious fans.   I put in much quieter 12V fans.  I powered them with a separate wall wart module mounted inside the box with velcro.  I used Nidec Beta V TA450DC fans rated at 250 mA.   Again,  I checked the before/after thermal environment and found no changes.

I have some even quieter NMB "Smartfans" with a thermal sensor.  They draw around 150 mA until the temp reaches 35C,  then they kick in at 750 mA and scream bloody murder.