[time-nuts] FE-5680A

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 11 04:54:27 UTC 2010

Bob Camp wrote:

> My personal experience suggests that setting one up is indeed a black art known only to the select few. The high priest takes them into the back room and they magically come return in working order several days / weeks / what ever later.  High priest goes on vacation - not much is going to ship ....
>
> Bob

There are still many high-tech products which fit in this general
description.  Adjusting tunable filters, Focusing TWTs using permanent
magnets, etc.

at lunch today, someone was talking about a guy from RS Microwave
commenting that they had fooled with automatic filter tuning by
computer, but a "good" tech could beat it every time. the machine tuning
worked great for a specific filter, so if you had a big production run,
it was ok, but if you're building just a few of each filter.

(I rummaged in Google and found
http://www.ee.ntu.edu.tw/news/96-Snyder-Filter-Development.pdf
)