[time-nuts] Choke Ring Design for L1

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 14 03:37:55 UTC 2010

>Bruce wrote:
<ws response

> Only for your particular location and antenna.
<True, My location is under the sky indoors or outdoors, and I used severl
cheap car type antennas and a pole mounted timing antenna.
May not work as well in other locations or with other types of antennas.
(Like under the water or with choke antennas)

>You have no actual idea of how the antenna response is affected by the
>presence of the cake tin,
<Sure I do, You have not been keeping up with the latest Lady Heather
updates, Take a look at her new antenna plot capability.

>nor did you specify what sort of antenna you are using with it.
<Yes I did give a recommendation in the beginning for a timing antenna,
but I get the same kind of effect on all "car" type also.
(which is no surprise case they are made to be mounted on a metal body.)

>A patch antenna at the bottom of a cake tin may not have much gain over the
>elevation range of interest.
<What I can say, It works good, and it is not likely it is the antenna gain,
cause by making a directly antenna out of it,
cause I get some of the same effects with the pie pan turned the other way.

>Your explanation of why this appears to work well is still nonsense.
<That is because I did not give one yet.  MY guess is that it is blocking
out multipath reflections of which I have many, and these reflections tend
to case dips in the signal level due to cancellations as the sat moves
across the sky. Also adds some gain to some antennas.

>The variation in antenna response with elevation needs to be
>measured/calculated before one can safely conclude that such an antenna
is universally useful.
<READ answer AGAIN> That is exactly what I did with the new Lady Heather,
You may want to try it for yourself before your unfounded criticizing or
look at the attached.

ws

***************
WarrenS wrote:
> Thanks, Nice set of references as always.
> OK, so its not 100db, But you may of missed my point yet again.
> If you think I said that a 10 cent pie pan is a good substitute for a
> $1000 survey antenna in all applications,
> I think we all know that would be Nonsense.
>
> BUT what may not be known is:
> that a turned up pie pan under my cheap patch/puck antenna,
> works about as good as an expensive survey antenna for use with a Tbolt
> GPSDO,
> That's not Nonsense, It's a tested fact.

Only for your particular location and antenna.
Your explanation of why this appears to work well is still nonsense.

You have no actual idea of how the antenna response is affected by the
presence of the cake tin, nor did you specify what sort of antenna you
are using with it.
A patch antenna (like your puck) at the bottom of a cake tin that just
happens to be a quarter wave deep may not have much gain over the
elevation range of interest.

The variation in antenna response with elevation needs to be
measured/calculated before one can safely conclude that such an antenna
is universally useful.
> So I'm not saying there is anything wrong with using a survey antenna on
> your GPSDO,
> if you have more money than cents, and you want the last sub ns of
> performance.
> But it is not really necessary, there are many many ways to get more bang
> for the buck,
> and they would still need to be done first to take advantage of the survey
> antenna's small improvement when used for a GPSDO.
>
> There appears to be a false impression that choke rings remove all
> Multipath signals.
> What they do is to remove multipath ground reflected signals from below
> the antenna, not multipath signals from above it.
>
> ws

Bruce