[time-nuts] Choke Ring Pictures

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 14 21:36:27 UTC 2010

Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> Machining a chunk of Plexiglas sounds like more trouble that I would want to go to for a cheap choke ring setup.
>
> Maybe a hemispherical Plexiglass serving bowl ....

take a look at inexpensive light fixtures with hemispherical or
spherical plastic globes.

Actually, hemispheres are made by softening the acrylic or polycarbonate
or styrene sheet over a round hole, and then pulling a small vacuum on
it (a vacuum cleaner is more than enough).

Pretty easy to do at home.. sheet of plywood or particle board with the
right sized hole in it, some heat lamps (or a steady hand with a moving
propane torch and flame spreader)