[time-nuts] HP 5065A - phosphoric acid

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Sun Mar 21 22:02:56 UTC 2010

paul swed wrote:
> Were do you obtain a small amount of phosphoric acid????
> Also when I looked it up they said it was H3PO4. Doesn't sound like the
> same.
> Is there a common use for it?

I bought a quart a while ago at Home Depot in the paint section. Jasco
Prep and Primer for metal - a liquid. Mostly phosphoric acid but with a
few extra ingredients, I think. Pretty sure it would work ok for solder
prep. As usual, the sales person in the paint section was of no help. I
asked for phosphoric acid and got a blank stare; explained it is use to
prep metal for painting. Still, "no, I don't think we have that." I did
an extensive search myself and found it on a shelf. I showed the sales
guy and got a disinterested, "oh."

If you live in a hard water area, it will also remove heavy scale
deposits in sinks, showers, etc.