[time-nuts] HP 5065A rubidium lifetime

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon Mar 22 02:43:40 UTC 2010

Hi

One thing to be careful about with all this tinning of strange materials:

There is indeed a way to get it *almost right". The lead wets with solder and the lead will indeed pass a tug test. Thermo-cycle the lead a dozen times and you can pull it right out of the solder.

If you are going to do this on any "mission critical" devices, it's best to check the result fairly carefully until you are sure of your materials and technique.

While I have no direct experience with a problem, I  also suspect you would want to keep your stash of phosphoric acid away from any un-tinned kovar leads. Kovar it's self will not solder, but it's oxide will. Strip the oxide and you have a significant problem. You have to get the stuff very hot to re-form the oxide you need.

Bob