[time-nuts] GPS antenna setup: how good?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Mar 24 17:59:56 UTC 2010

How do I tell which of two setups is better?  For example, how much does
adding a pie pan help?

Is there some simple parameter I can look at that tells me an antenna
goodness value?  If not, what's a reasonable recipe to come up with a number
or compare two antennas?

What's the appropriate time scale to use when thinking about that problem?

I haven't (yet?) looked at any of the satellite position and signal strength
data.

Can I do something like wait until a satellite is about to go directly
overhead and plot the signal strength while occasionally swapping the
antennas?  Are the signal strength readings reasonably noise free and/or
repeatable from run to run which may be a few days apart?

Assuming it goes high overhead, how long is a satellite within view?
(ballpark)