[time-nuts] Low-Cost 6+ GHz Prescaler board for HP/Agilent 53181A/53131A/53132A

Pete Lancashire pete at petelancashire.com
Thu Mar 25 16:10:02 UTC 2010

A quick pass and or random thoughts ..

> 1- The minimum measurable frequency

provide a pass thru path optionally have layout on the board
for a relay and its associated driver/interface.

> 3- Let's speak about input protection. More ...

Are there any negatives to having it optional ? I.E. no parts
on the board ? The old FR4 is 'free'.

> 4- Connectors. The PCB board will input into a standard SMA connector

SMA is OK for me, optionally consider SMB's and offer a SMB to SMA bulk
head

> 5 build options. I would buy the bare board but a parts kit I think
would be good. One big issue is storage of bulk SMD parts. Unless you
have controlled dry storage you can end up tossing out a lot of parts.

One consideration is having a assembly house just do the SMDs, Rs, Cs,
and the ICs. The rest can be done by hand.

> 6 Price .. make sure you consider all costs. The little ones can add
up, anti-static bags, padded envelopes, etc all cost money.