[time-nuts] Making a HP 10811 better

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon Mar 29 23:53:23 UTC 2010

Hi

The 10811 should respond quickly enough that a few minutes (5 ~10) between steps should  be plenty. If you stretch it out to far, things like aging, retrace, and ambient change can get into the data. Always return to your original resistor value to confirm that drift hasn't gotten in the way. If you decide to add more insulation, you may need to change the DC gain of the controller to compensate.  Also remember that DC gain, thermal gain, and set point all interact with each other at some level. A full optimization would attack all three. If you are going to do this to an OCXO, the 10811 is a pretty good candidate. It's made with leaded parts and put together with screws. No nasty SMD's or welds to get past.

Without a temperature chamber of some sort,  making sure you have improved things can be difficult.

Bob