[time-nuts] Making a HP 10811 better

Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Tue Mar 30 17:24:57 UTC 2010

> Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 01:12:25 +1300
> From: Steve Rooke <sar10538 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Making a HP 10811 better
> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
> <time-nuts at febo.com>
>
> Has anyone tried putting one of these in a thermos flask? I have seen
> wide necked flasks available for food storage which should allow the
> device to be inserted and it could be wedged in place with something
> like foam blocks inside. I appreciate that this does not let the item
> loose heat but it should not make itself too hot in the first place.
> At least this should protect it from external temperature swings.
>
> Yes, I do know that they actually make OCXOs like this and that's
> where I got the idea.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve (slowly recovering)
>
> On 26 March 2010 08:10, WarrenS <warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> I was wondering if there is any interest for a single oven HP 10811
>> improvement design kit of some sort?
>>

>> ws

I think what Steve might be remembering are frequency standards similar to
the Navy URQ-10.  Those indeed had thermos flasks to house the crystal
itself, not the entire OXCO circuit.  Only the crystal blank and possibly
the temperature sensor were inside the flask.

David M
dgminala at mediacombb dot net