[time-nuts] Dual Mixer

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Wed May 12 01:15:55 UTC 2010

> As long as the idea is comparing the oscillators here in the
> basement, there are a lot of things you can do.
>
> As soon as the "bragging rights" bug cuts in, knowing that the
> numbers are correct becomes an issue. With many noise measurement
> issues the assumption that "better is correct" can serve pretty
> well. The biggest exception to that is messing up the math. Math
> errors can go both ways.

Is that true of LPF transfer function errors, though?  There's messing up
the math, and then there's doing the right math but with the wrong
coefficients and maybe a missing nth-order term.  As long as the overall
characteristic is that of an integration over tau0, I really don't see how
things can fail *that* badly.

-- john, KE5FX